The President of the Nigerian Bar association (NBA) Abubakar Balarabe Mahmoud OON, SAN, yesterday, Inaugurated a 13 Man Committee to be Chaired by Malam Yusuf O. Ali SAN to review NBA’s Constitution.
The Terms of Reference of the Committee are:
- To thoroughly study the NBA Constitution with a view to identifying areas that require amendment and propose appropriate amendment that will promote the objectives of the Bar.
- To review the NBA Constitution and receive memoranda from members on all aspect of the NBA Constitution that require amendment.
- To propose appropriate amendment in the areas pointed out in the President’s speech where the Constitution is lacking
- To review and propose amendments as may be deemed necessary to the NBA Constitution.
- To propose amendment(s) that in the opinion of the Committee would bring the NBA Constitution in line with best international practice(s).
- To prepare a draft NBA Constitution for presentation at NEC at the Extra- Ordinary General Meeting within six (6) weeks of inauguration.
- To consult Bar leaders across the Country on its Terms of Reference and reflect inputs.
- To do any other activity (ies) incidental to the above terms of Reference.
Speaking at the inauguration, the President of the NBA Mallam A. B Mahmoud SAN expressed concern over the association leadership succession and electoral system and urged the committee to recommend less expensive and advanced system that would match best international practices.
In his words; “The current NBA leadership succession and election model are expensive, primordial, obsolete, risky, and may throw up mediocrity”
He noted that study of different models and best practices across diverse jurisdictions and countries revealed that no Bar Association or Law Society used the current NBA model of leadership succession and election of National Officers.
He urged the Committee to also review the leadership succession in NBA, and the mode of electing NBA National Officers to ensure that the best candidates for the election win.
Other members of the 13 Man Committee are:
Sagir Gezawa Esq, – Secretary of the Committee
Prof. Paul Idornigi, SAN
Prof. Tahir Mamah, SAN
Prof. Ogugua Ikpeze
Mrs. Abimbola Akeredolu, SAN
Yusuf Dadien, Esq
Ogaga John Emoghwanre, Esq
Mrs. Mercy J. Agada, Esq
Al-Ameen Abubakar, Esq
Chris O. Nnoli, Esq
Mustapha Adekola, Esq
© Copyright DNL Legal & Style 2017.
This piece may only be copied on the condition that DNL Legal & Style is duly acknowledged in this manner: “Source: DNL Legal & Style. View the original piece on: (insert Hyperlink)