On Monday, 23rd April, 2018, the Chief Judge of Lagos State, Honourable Justice Opeyemi Oke commissioned the Lagos State Small Claims Courts in the magistrates court Lagos.
Here are 10 things you should know about the court:
- Established for recovery of claims not exceeding 5million naira.
- Has its special Practice Directions and Handbook containing guidelines.
- Processes are filed with standard forms.
- Period of proceeding from filing to judgment is 60 days or less.
- Procedure is straight forward, time saving, cheap and affordable.
- Small claims court allows for self-representation.
- Every step of the proceeding is time bound with sanctions for default.
- The court is established with the supported of PEBEC under the World Bank Ease of Doing Business initiatives.
- 15 magistrate courts are designated small claims court with specially trained magistrates.
- The JIC Taylor Magistrate Court Igbosere has 5 small claims court.