The National Executives (NEC) of the International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) Nigeria has suspended all electoral activities of its branch counterpart in Benue State till further notice.
The suspension followed the leadership crisis presently rocking the FIDA Benue.
In a letter signed by the Country Vice President, the Branch FIDA was asked to refrain from further activities till further notice.
- “We bring you warm greetings from FIDA Nigeria and write to inform you that FIDA Nigeria is not happy with the report that is trending in the social media about an election, which is almost tearing the branch apart. FIDA National executive committee wish to bring the following to your attention: That the FIDA NEC is not happy with what is happening in the branch and has directed that all activities of the branch be kept on hold and the branch is advised to desist from conducting any electoral activities.
- That the FIDA NEC will be visiting FIDA Benue to mediate in the matter at a date to be communicated after the burial ceremony of the husband of our amiable CVP.
- That the branch “former” and “newly” elected executive should each nominate a very senior member of the branch to serve as a caretaker and mediator during the FIDA NEC visit/meeting.”
“We wish to remind members of FIDA (Nigeria) Benue state branch that:
- This organisation is one of integrity and dignity.
- It was formed to carry out the mandate of promoting, preserving and protecting the rights of women and children in Nigeria.
- Membership is one of service to humanity.
- Members are encouraged to associate themselves to actions that are wholesome and honourable.”
It would be recalled that a few days ago, on the 7th of September, Mary Onyeka was announced as the chairperson of FIDA Benue in an election conducted six days earlier than the proposed election date.
Following the announcement, the Secretary of the branch, T.M.Suswam issued a notice stating that no election had been held. In the notice she confirmed that the elections were billed to hold on the 14th of September, 2018.