The Nigerian Bar Association Owerri branch has concluded plans to boycott all courts in Imo State to protest the gruesome murder of late R. C. Ogu.
The resolution was reached at the November Monthly meeting of the Branch which was held on Saturday, November 24, 2018.
The press release issued by the NBA branch reported the following incidents;
- The Secretariat of the Nigerian Bar Association Orlu Branch which is situate inside the High Court Premises Orlu was burgled sometime early this year including the Exhibit Room of the Magistrates Court Orlu.
- The Court Hall and Exhibit Room of the Chief Magistrate Court 1 Orlu and the archives of both the Magistrates and High Court Orlu were both set ablaze by unknown miscreants.
- Armed men on motorbike traced a man from the bank to the High Court Premises Orlu and snatched the withdrawn cash thereon.
- The reports of these incessant criminal activities were brought to the attention of the relevant security agencies, yet the perpetrators are still at large.
- The lifeless body of His Worship, R. C. Ogu Jr. ( a Magistrate sitting at the Magistrates Court Ubulu in Oru-West Local Government Area) was found in the early hours of Friday the 23rd day of November 2018.
Consequently, The Nigerian Bar Association Orlu Branch in its November Monthly General Meeting resolved as follows:
- That there shall be a total boycott of courts and court related activities from tomorrow Wednesday 28th November 2018 through Friday 30th November 2018.
- That on Friday 30th November 2018 the bar shall proceed on a peaceful protest to the relevant authorities in Owerri the state capital to register its grievances and dissatisfaction over the gruesome murder of His Worship, R. C. Ogu Jr.
Orlu Bar hereby calls on its brother branches of Imo state and other lovers and believers in the cause of justice.
Dress Code for the peaceful match: Full Lawyer’s Attire without robe.