The Honourable Chief Judge of Lagos State, Hon. Mr. Justice Opeyemi Oke during her inaugural speech shared her vision and dream for the Lagos State Judiciary, stressing on the need to stamp out corruption, and bring a New Dawn in the Lagos state Judiciary.
In the last one year, the achievements of her Lordship includes but not limited to:
- Installation and Commissioning of the Vision, Mission and Commitment Statement signposts of the Lagos State Judiciary across all the Court Premises in Lagos State. This is carried out to inform Court users on the guiding principle of effective and efficient service delivery in the Court.
- Fight against Corruption in Lagos State Judiciary – Disciplinary actions taken against erring staff: Sheriff Department, Probate Registry, Cash Office and Administrative staff.
- Setting up of Hospitality Unit: Duty includes supply of monthly Welfare items (provisions) to members of staff.
- Annual Retreat for Hon. Judges held in Amsterdam, Netherlands between 3rd – 8th December, 2017 with a visit to the International Criminal Court, Hague.
- Creation of two new divisions of the High Court on 1st February, 2018 – Economic/Financial Crimes Division; Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Division.
- Creation of Small Claims Courts in the Magistracy on 23rd April, 2018.
The objective of the Small Claims Court is to provide easy access to an informal, inexpensive and speedy resolution of simple debt recovery disputes in the Magistrate Court.
- Setting up of Tenders Board.
- Typing pool: Setting up of Typing pool to handle secretarial needs of the Magistrates in different Magisterial Districts and typing of Records of Appeal so as to put a stop to indiscriminate charges in compilation of Records of Appeal.
- Installation of Solar Panels at Yaba and Ebute Metta Magistrate Courts to provide constant electricity supply.
- Renovation of Courts.
- Renovation/Furnishing of the Cloak Room for Lawyers at the Candide-Johnson High Court / Magistrate Court House, Ikorodu.
- Commissioning of Olusola Thomas Courthouse, Badagry on 9th November 2017.
- Prison Decongestion: The Honourable Chief Judge embarked on a series of prison visits to Badagry (9th November 2017), Kirikiri (20th February 2018), Ikoyi prison (21st February 2018).
- Prison visit with the National Stakeholders Committee on Prison Reforms and Decongestion to Kirikiri prisons on 30th April, 2018.
- Inauguration of the Rules Committee headed by the Honourable (Mr.) Justice K. O. Alogba (Hon. Admin Judge (Lagos) saddled with the responsibility of amending the High Court of Lagos State (Civil Procedure) Rules 2012.
- Signing of the Sentencing Guidelines Practice Direction – 27th March 2018.
- Setting up of Committee on Probate headed by Hon. Mr. Justice D.T. Okuwobi (Hon. Admin Judge Ikeja) saddled with the responsibility of initiating reforms in the Probate Division of the Lagos State Judiciary.
- Setting up of a Committee on amendment of Lagos State Multi -Door Courthouse (LMDC) Law headed by Hon. Mr. Justice S.B.A Candide- Johnson.
- Setting up of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law (ACJL) Practice Direction Committee headed by Hon. Mr. Justice O. A. Ipaye.
- Setting up of the Policy & Strategy Committee headed by Hon. Mr. Justice O.A. Ipaye set up to formulate policies for the Lagos State Judiciary as a template for successive administrations.
- The Digitalization of the Probate Registries in the Lagos State Judiciary which is ongoing.
- Facilitation of the amendment of the High Court of Lagos State Law which increased the number of Judges of the High Court of Lagos State from 60 to 120.
- Appointment and Swearing in of three (3) Judges of High Court of Lagos State on 2nd May, 2018.
- The retreat for Management staff of Lagos State Judiciary held on the 9th to the 12th of May 2018 at Orchid Hotels Ltd, Lekki, towards improving service delivery of the Lagos State Judiciary.
- 1st Bi-Annual Lecture of the Lagos State Judiciary held on the 14th May, 2018.
- Granting of Building Loans to 100 members of the Co-Operative Society of the Lagos State High Court.
- The Backlog Elimination Programme (BEP) aimed at getting rid of old cases speedily and through mediation.
- The Backlog Elimination Programme (BEP) is an ongoing project which requires full commitment and co-operation of members of the Bar for successful implementation.
- Swearing In of 27 Customary Court Presidents and 161 members of the Customary Court – 3rd July, 2018 and 18th September, 2018.
- Appointment and Swearing in of Three Magistrates – 3rd July 2018.
- Annual Retreat for Hon. Judges held between 7th – 13th July, 2018 in Dubai, UAE.
- Appointment of Lawyers as Court Registrars which is first of its kind in Nigeria. This has injected Professionalism in the running of Courts and also create a career path for the Registrars to rise to the rank of Chief Registrar.
- Workshop for newly appointed Legal Registrars who are Legal Practitioners – 17th – 19th September, 2018.
- Granting of a Canteen at Ikeja to be managed by Lagos State High Court Co-Operative Society.
- Recruitment of 50 Sheriffs (getting ready to undergo training).
- Retreat for Magistrates of the Lagos State Judiciary at Dubai, U.A.E – 1st – 12th October, 2018.
- Creation of Restorative Justice Centres at Samuel Ilori Court House Ogba, J.I.C. Taylor CourtHouse, Igbosere, Yaba Magistrate CourtHouse, Ebute Metta Magistrate CourtHouse, and Sikiru Adagun CourtHouse, Mba Street, Apapa. – yet to be commissioned.
- Creation of Senior Citizens Help Centres (Legal Access for Elders) at Ikeja and Lagos Judicial Divisions of the Lagos State Judiciary – yet to be commissioned. Services will be provided for citizens aged 60 years and above.
- Designation of special car park for citizens with disabilities within the Ikeja and Igbosere Court premises.
- Trainings on ICT for Judges and staff members in compliance with the policy of the Hon. Chief Justice of Nigeria, Hon. Mr. Justice W.S.N. Onnoghen (GCON) on the service of Court processes through Legal E-mail.
- International Trainings and Conferences on various topics and issues of law for Honourable Judges.
- Trainings, Workshops and Conferences for Judges, Magistrates and other members of staff of the Lagos State Judiciary organized at the National Judicial Institute, Abuja.
- Professional Conferences for staff of the Accounts and Administrative Departments attended by different cadres of staff in Nigeria.
- 131 Legal Practitioners sworn in as Notaries Public.
- Over 50 Courtesy visits by different interest groups indicating interest to partner with this administration.
- Appointment of Supervisory Judges for the Magistrates for efficiency and better performance, in line with the Commitment Statement of this administration.
Culled from “the Office of the Chief Judge of Lagos State”
© Copyright DNL Legal & Style 2017.
This piece may only be copied on the condition that DNL Legal & Style is duly acknowledged in this manner: “Source: DNL Legal & Style. View the original