The trial of a former National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki, was again stalled on Wednesday as the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court in Maitama refused to go ahead with the matter in the absence of the accused.
Mr Dasuki is standing trial alongside four others, Bashir Yuguda, Dalhatu investment Ltd, Sagir Attahiru and Attahiru Dalhatu Bafarawa, for allegedly diverting public funds worth ₦19.4 billion.
He has been in detention since his arrest in 2015 despite being granted bail by the court on many occasions.
Mr Dasuki last year said he would no longer appear in court for his trial until government honours the bail.
In the opening of session on Wednesday, counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Oluwaleke Atolagbe, told the court that the matter was scheduled for trial and that a prosecution witness was in court waiting to give evidence.
But Mr Dasuki’s lawyer, Victor Okudili, told the court that a motion on notice seeking an order to adjourn the trial indefinitely, pending compliance by the EFCC with the judgment of Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu on July 2, 2018, which granted bail to the defendant.
Mr Atolagbe acknowledging the receipt of the application and asked for an adjournment to enable him to respond to it.
Following this, the presiding judge, Hussein Baba-Yusuf, adjourned the matter to February 19 to hear the application.