The Chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association Mr. Akinlade has accused the 2nd Vice President of NBA Dr. Foluke Dada of using the NBA National Executive Committee (NEC) as a weapon to achieve clandestine objectives to discredit him on his stance on corruption within the NBA.
Mr. Akinlade made the allegation in a press release while reacting to Dr. Dada’s report on NBA Ikorodu published to members of NBA ahead of the 2019 Annual General Meeting (AGM) scheduled to hold on Thursday, 29th August 2019 in Lagos.
Mr. Akinlade noted that Dr. Dada’s report is one-sided, false, bias and highly opinionated.
“You may again read in our NBA AGM REPORT about me and NBA Ikorodu. Below is my position on the report by the 2VP of NBA”
“With all the well published activities of NBA Ikorodu Branch, one of which deserved a mention from the LEGAL AID COUNCIL Boss; it is troubling that our NBA 2nd VP could not report it. Instead she gives a report which is mostly false, bias and highly opinionated. A one-sided report fed to members of NEC and using NEC as a weapon to achieve clandestine objectives to discredit Bayo Akinlade for his stance on corruption within the NBA.”
Continuing, Mr. Akinlade noted;
“To set the records straight: NBA Ikorodu Branch members have worked hard in the last one year with the average member donating more than 5 hours a week in voluntary services to the public. Our programs include:
- Weekly visits to the Police Stations within Ikorodu under our PDSS program.
- Weekly Court Centered Prison decongestion initiative [at least 2 lawyers are stationed in each of our 6 magistrate courts every Thursday].
- Monthly Human Rights / Legal Aid interventions.
- Legal Outreaches to Schools, market places, orphanages, Prisons, mosques, churches etc.
- Legal intervention for abused and vulnerable women and children.
- Support services for the LAGOS State Judiciary and the Office of the Public Defender.
- We had our annual law week and dinner where we provided free legal services all week and collaborated with the Nigerian Medical Association & others.
- Various CLE programs
- Amongst other things.
He stated that non of the above mentioned programs were reported by the Dr. Dada in her report to NEC and the AGM.
Speaking further, Mr. Akinlade stated; “We gone so far in NBA Ikorodu as to have formal/informal standing partnerships with:
- Lagos State Ministry of Justice
- Lagos State Judiciary
- Legal Aid council of Nigeria
- Open Society Foundation
- British Council ROLaC programme
- Total Nig Coop Society
Just to mention a few
But not one single event we do is reported by our National Excos.
Read Dr. Foluke Dada’s response to Mr. Akinlade’s allegation here