The President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Mr. Paul Usoro SAN has constituted a six member transition committee selected from the out going Executive Committee. The Committee members are charged with the responsibility of ensuring the smooth transfer of the reins of administration from the current NBA administration to next.
Mr. Usoro has also hinted that the incoming president Mr. Olumide Akpata is expected to announce his Transition Team, ” following which the two Teams shall meet and work in earnest towards a smooth transfer of powers and functions.”
Below is Mr. Usoro’s statement in respect thereof:
- Following the affirmation by the Nigerian Bar Association’s (“NBA”) National Executive Committee (“NEC”) of the results of the NBA’s 2020 National Officers’ Elections that was held on 29-30 July 2020, as was announced and presented to NEC at its meeting of 20 August 2020 by the Electoral Committee of the NBA (“ECNBA”) and pursuant to the recommendations of the NBA Board of Trustees which I read to NEC at the said meeting, I have constituted a Transition Committee made up of all the National Officers (save the NBA President) to work with the Olumide Akpata-led incoming administration for a smooth transfer of the reins of administration from our administration to theirs.
- The Transition Committee shall work with the NBA National Secretariat personnel for the attainment of the Committee’s goals. Even though membership of the Committee is made up of all the National Officers, the key National Officers that shall drive the process shall be:
- Jonathan Gunu Taidi – General Secretary (Chairman)
- Banke Olagbegi-Oloba – National Treasurer
- Emeka Elias Anbosike – National Financial Secretary
- Lawal Habeeb Akorede – Assistant National Publicity Secretary
- Onoriode Ewenode – 1st National Assistant General Secretary
- Chinyere Obasi – 2nd National Assistant General Secretary
- For emphasis and avoidance of doubt, the identification of the afore-listed National Officers as the key members of the Transition Committee is without prejudice to the constitution of all the National Officers (save the NBA President) as members of the Transition Committee. In other words, the General Secretary, as the Chairman of the Committee, is at liberty and has the mandate to assign such roles, pursuant to the Committee’s mandate, as he considers necessary and required, to any of the National Officers whether or not they are listed in this Release as key members of the Committee.
- The terms of reference of the Committee, as I have earlier stated, is to work on all such areas and assignments as would guarantee the smooth transfer of the reins of administration from the current NBA administration to next. I have intentionally left the Terms of Reference fluid in order to cover any and all areas that would facilitate such a smooth transition. The tenure of the Committee shall last up till the swearing-in of the incoming administration on Saturday, 29 August 2020 and thereafter, for as long as President-Elect Olumide Akpata may determine.
- I have been in touch with President-Elect Olumide Akpata and I expect him to announce his Transition Team anon following which the two Teams shall meet and work in earnest towards a smooth transfer of powers and functions.