HomeCourt room newsI Received $600,000 From Two Contractors For Emefiele, Ex-CBN Director Tells Court

I Received $600,000 From Two Contractors For Emefiele, Ex-CBN Director Tells Court

Date:

n Ikeja Special Offences Court heard yesterday from a former Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Director in charge of Information and Technology, John Ayoh, how he received $600,000 from two contractors on behalf of the apex bank boss, Godwin Emefiele.

Ayoh was under cross-examination by Olalekan Ojo (SAN), the counsel to Emefiele (1st defendant) before Justice Rahman Oshodi.

The former CBN governor had earlier challenged the jurisdiction of the court to try him for abuse of office and the alleged multi billion dollars fraud leveled against him.

In his motion on notice dated April 24, Ojo argued that the court lacked the constitutional jurisprudence to hear the charge against Emefiele.

He said: “There is need to consider jurisdictional objection before allowing this case. “This defendant ought not to be arraigned before this court on constitutional grounds. We are saying that charges against the first defendant are unconstitutional.

“I urge your lordship to toe the path of legality and constitutionality to determine this application.”

Kazeem Gbadamosi, counsel to the 2nd defendant, Henry Isioma-Omoili, aligned with Ojo submission.

He said: “The foundation has been laid. I do not see how I can depart from the submission of my learned brother. I urge the court to take appropriate position on jurisdiction before going into the matter.”

Responding to their submission, EFCC counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN) urged the court to ignore the submission of the counsels to defendants but to toe the path of legality.

“It is illegal and unconstitutional for this court to prevent the trial of this case or refer trial of the case on the basis of objection challenging the particulars of information under cloth of unconstitutionality,” he argued.

Citing Section 1 of ACJA, he said the intention of the defence was to prevent, or delay conduct of criminal trial.

However, Justice Oshodi deferred ruling on the matter till a later date.

Justice Oshodi ruled that the first – eighth defendants would henceforth give evidences in public glare.

The ruling of the court followed the withdrawal of an application filed earlier by Oyedepo on the arraignment of Emefiele.

Ruling on the matter, Justice Oshodi held: “This application to have trial in camera is now struck out having been withdrawn. The matter is now to be conducted in the full public glare.”

Thereafter Ayoh, who is the second Prosecution Witness (PW2) told the court that he did not work directly under the first defendant.

He said he used to report to a former Deputy Governor of CBN, Adebayo Adelabu (now a Minister of Power), between 2014 and 2019 when he worked with the CBN.

The witness, who was Head of Procurement and Support Services (PSS), vested with powers to receive applications for award of contract to select successful bidders told the court that the first envelope containing $400,000 was brought to his house in Lekki.

He admitted sending his home address at Lekki and phone number to the person, named Adetona, that brought the envelope to him through his WhatsApp platform.

Share on

Place your
Adver here

For more details, contact

Related articles:

[Download] Judgment of Court Upholding CBN’s Regulation on Collection of Customers’ Social Media Handles

On Wednesday, 15th May 2024, Honourable Justice Nnamdi Dimgba...

[Download] Federal High Court Practice Direction on the E-Affidavit Regime

The Chief Judge of the Federal High Court Hon....

Industrial Court 2024 Annual Vacation Begins July 29

The Hon. President of the National Industrial Court of...

Court Affirms 25 Pro-Wike Lawmakers as PDP Members

A Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt...

Tariff  Increase: Tribunal Fines Multichoice N150m, Free Subscription to Nigerians 

A Competition and Consumer Protection Tribunal (CCPT) on Friday...